Minnesota Severe Weather Awareness Week
April 17 - 21, 2017
- Monday — Alerts and Warnings
- Tuesday — Severe Weather, Lightning and Hail
- Wednesday — Floods
- Thursday — Tornadoes (with statewide tornado drills)
- Friday — Extreme Heat
SEVERE WEATHER, ROAD CLOSURES, AND OTHER IMMINENT THREATS. HOW WILL YOU FIND OUT ABOUT COUNTY WIDE EMERGENCIES AND DISASTERS? EARLY WARNING HELPS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY. THAT’S WHY WE WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU’RE INFORMED. CLICK ON THE EVERBRIDGE NOTIFICATIONS BOX SO THAT YOU CAN RECEIVE IMPORTANT NOTICES VIA PHONE CALL, TEXT OR EMAIL. BE PREPARED AND BE SAFE. IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE SIGNING UP CALL 320-235-5133.
Mission: "To support our community's disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation needs through the coordination of information and resources."
What is Emergency Management?
- The process of prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery from emergencies and disasters.
The focal point for overall coordination for all disasters.
Planning, training, conducting drills, testing equipment and coordinating activities with communities.
Effective Emergency Management relies on thorough integration of emergency plans at all levels of government and non-government involvement.
What does Kandiyohi County Emergency Management (KCEM) do?
KCEM is responsible for development of community based plans and programs to maintain a state of readiness to meet natural, man-made, and technological disasters on a local or countywide basis. KCEM also coordinates and maintians inventories of disaster resources in the county, both public and private, as well as plans for the effective utilization of resources in the county with the assistance of designated county emergency management staff, appointed municipal directors, and volunteers.
The following county agencies fall under KCEM...
Kandiyohi County Safety Department
Mission: "Kandiyohi County Management realizes that it has the responsibility to provide safe work places for its employees, and safe environments for its citizens. Each employee must pursue the highest standards in his or her assigned activities, and all county employees must recognize that the well being of persons and the protection of our physical resources are as important as the activity and work being performed.
Kandiyohi County has established a Loss Control Management Program, and the county expects its management,supervisors and employees to respond to all planned safety efforts and to perform their assigned jobs in the safest possible manner.
The Safety Directors will be assigned the responsibility of implementing, organizing and maintaining safety program. This will include staff direction, safety committee activity and administration of our safety program."
Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad
Mission: "Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad will operate as a division of Kandiyohi County Emergency Management and as such shall prepare for and conduct rescue operation as follows:"
1. To save lives and minimize injury by the extrication of accident victims in the County of Kandiyohi.
2. To assist law enforcement in search and rescue, evacuation, crowd control, helicopter landing zone and traffic direction in emergency situations.
3. To assist emergency medical personnel in an accident or disaster situations as needed, including administration of patient care to the level trained (first reponder) as requested.
4. To assist Kandiyohi County Fire Departments as needed including a portable air refill supply service, Technical Rescue, HAZMaterials as requested.
5. To perform such duties as deemed necessary by the Director, Kandiyohi County Emergency Management, to safeguard the lives and property of the residents of Kandiyohi County in emergency or disaster situations
Deputy Director: Ace Bonnema - Ext. 3802
Homeland Security Planning
Emergency Operations Center
National Weather Service - Central Region